onesies for your princesses. customize onesies for your babies.
Use the arrows to travel through the pictures; click them to see them fullscreen.
What you’ll need:
- Basic baby onesie.
- Ribbon of your colour of choice, 2.5 cm. x 60cm. approximately.
- Grosgrain ribbon of your colour of choice, 2cm. x 50cm. for the frills and 2cm. x 60cm. for the triple bow tie approximately.
How to customize your baby onesies.
If you want to add your own touch to your baby onesies you only have to choose your favourite ribbon. You can add a couple of bows to the shoulders of your onesie, make a really cute frill or a triple bow tie. Keep reading to find out how.
To make the bows to place over the shoulders of the onesie we’ll follow the next steps:
- Step 1: We start the bow by its centre. Cut a piece of ribbon of, approximately, 6cm. long. Sew the ends, just the way it’s shown in Diagram 1. We’ll adjust the ribbon depending on how wide we want it to be. Once we’ve sewn it, we’ll place the seam at the bottom centre, this way it won’t be visible. (Seams are represented by dashed lines).
- Step 2: Cut another piece of ribbon around 23cm. long and sew the edges, just the same way you did in the previous step and you can see in Diagram 2. Again, place the seam in the centre and at the bottom of the bow, so it’s not visible.
- Step 3: I Now, to assemble the bow, we place the bigger loop we’ve made inside of the smaller one. Be aware of how you position them; cover the seam of the bigger piece with the central part. Then, sew them together, so you can have something similar to what’s shown in Diagram 3. Repeat steps 1, 2 and 3 to make the second bow for the other shoulder.
- Step 4: To finish off, sew the bows onto the shoulders of your baby onesie. You can sew them by hand or use your sewing machine.
Another great way of decorating your little princess onesie would be adding a very cute frill made out of some simple loops. You just have to follow these steps:
- Step 1: Cut a piece of grosgrain ribbon of the desired length. We’ve used a 12cm. long piece for the small frills and 19.5cm for the long one in the centre.
- Step 2: Now, make a 2cm. long loop with it, the same way you can see in Diagram 4, and sew it 0.5cm from the edge, as it shows in Diagram 5. Repeat the process till you have the length you want. Once they’re made, our small frills are 7cm long and the long central one is 10cm. The result should be something similar to what you see in Diagram 6.
- Step 3: Sew the frills onto the onesie. You can do it by hand or use your sewing machine.
We’ve made three frills to decorate this particular onesie, but you can make as many as you want with different lengths and use different colours.
The third way we’ve decorated the onesie with is a triple bow tie. To find out how to make this very cute style of tie, follow the next steps:
Step 1: Cut a piece of grosgrain ribbon of around 11cm. long. We’ll sew this vertically onto the centre of the onesie. Again, you can sew this by hand or use your sewing machine. Using the sewing machine is always faster, so you can have more time to make your bows. This piece of grosgrain ribbon sewn onto the onsie will be the base where we will sew the three bows onto.
Step 2: Now, we make three bows following the same steps as we did to make the ones for the shoulders. Remember that you can see the steps in Diagrams 1, 2 and 3. The bows we’ve made are 4.5 cm, wide when they’re completed.
- Step 3: When we are happy with our 3 bows we sew them onto the piece of grosgrain ribbon we placed on the onesie in step 1. Don’t sew them too close nor very far apart, we’ve left a 2.8cm of separation between them. You can see the result in Diagram 7 and in the gallery above. Remember the dashed lines represent the seams.